Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the About.com website's vegan section.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup strong brewed coffee or 3⁄4 cup espresso
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry preserves
- chocolate frosting (optional)
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and cocoa in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly incorporate oil and vanilla, then vinegar and water, and finally the coffee and raspberry preserves.
- Mix the batter until it is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a greased cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before frosting.