Recipe by YummySmellsca
I found the original recipe on betterbatter.org/egg-yolk-subs titute-vegan and modified it based on what I had on hand - namely a blend of chickpea and all-purpose flour (I was using it in shortbreads anyway which used regular flour so they didn't need to be GF). I was shocked at how wonderfully this worked, once I realized that an electric mixer (hand or stand) is not optional for proper consistency!
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- yellow food coloring, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together flours and water until smooth.
- Heat for 2 minutes, beating with a hand mixer halfway through.
- Add oil and beat in well - add enough extra oil to make the consistency of the mixture like beaten egg yolks – this mixture should be smooth, thick, and stirrable, with the consistency of canned icing.
- Use immediately or store tightly covered in the fridge up to 1 month.
- This will replace 2 yolks.