1/1 Photo of Vegan "Egg Yolk" Substitute
I found the original recipe on betterbatter.org/egg-yolk-subs titute-vegan and modified it based on what I had on hand - namely a blend of chickpea and all-purpose flour (I was using it in shortbreads anyway which used regular flour so they didn't need to be GF). I was shocked at how wonderfully this worked, once I realized that an electric mixer (hand or stand) is not optional for proper consistency!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together flours and water until smooth.
- 2Heat for 2 minutes, beating with a hand mixer halfway through.
- 3Add oil and beat in well - add enough extra oil to make the consistency of the mixture like beaten egg yolks – this mixture should be smooth, thick, and stirrable, with the consistency of canned icing.
- 4Use immediately or store tightly covered in the fridge up to 1 month.
- 5This will replace 2 yolks.
Browse Our Top Cooking Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cooking Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan "Egg Yolk" Substitute
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.3
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.0 g