Recipe by paula_rockwell
A fresh and hardy side dish for those with food allergies, vegan lifestyles or just looking for something different. I have food allergies and to be honest I am tired of rice, rice and more rice. This is a great alternative to rice and looks beautiful. For those who like to make life a little easier when they can, pre-cooked quinoa can easily be found at your local health food store like Whole Foods. Prep time includes the use of chilled quinoa. For those creative people out there, feel free to add your own ingredients or substitutions. Great alternatives or adds include chunked pineapple, pistacios or almonds in place of walnuts (or leave them out for those with nut allergies), mandarin oranges, chopped peaches or nectarines, etc.
- 4 cups of chilled quinoa
- 3 apples, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups red grapes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups of vegan mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup vegan sour cream (I prefer Sour Supreme)
- 2 lemons, Juiced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or slightly more if your grapes or apples are tart)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, apples, grapes, raisins and walnuts.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the quinoa mixture and stir well. This can be served immediately but I prefer chilling if for about 1 1/2 hours before enjoying.