Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another vegan recipe from Compassion Over Cruelty website. This calls for a 10-12 pound pumpkin.
Make and share this Vegan Pumpkin Stew (Cooked in a Pumpkin!) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 fresh pumpkin
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 bell pepper, cut into inch-thick slices
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups water or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil (for coating)
- Carve a hole in the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds.
- Scoop out 2 cups of pumpkin and cube. Then set the pumpkin aside.
- In a large pot, simmer the cubed pumpkin chunks, beans, bell pepper, onion, potatoes, carrots, garlic, celery, tomatoes, and vegetable stock or water for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and season to your taste.
- Place the pumpkin in a shallow pan and place the stew inside the pumpkin. Brush the outside of the pumpkin with a very light coating of vegetable oil.
- Bake the pumpkin and stew at 350°F for 2 hours, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Serve out of the carved pumpkin while hot.