Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is easy and delicious. Perfect with a cup of coffee for an afternoon pick-me-up. You can make it fat-free by substituting an additional 1/4 cup of applesauce for the oil, or use regular eggs instead of the egg-replacer if you don't need the recipe to be vegan. I got this recipe from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/pumpkin-spice-bread.html
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Substitute, mixed well with
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 2⁄3 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F Oil 1 regular sized loaf pan or 4 small (approximately 3 1/2 X 5 1/2-inch) loaf pans or a dozen muffin cups.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and blend well. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the liquid mixture to the dry, and stir well. Stir in the nuts, if desired. Pour the batter into the pan(s) and place on the center rack of oven. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean--about15 minutes for muffins, 35 minutes for small loaf pans, and 60-70 minutes for one large loaf. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
Took this too my daughter's school. The kids had a choice of two pumpkin breads and they liked this one better. They never knew it was vegan. 5 stars from the 3rd grade class. I did find I had to bake it a bit longer, but I just kept checking it with a toothpick until it was done.
I just made this and have to look no further for a great pumpkin bread recipe. Turned out perfect. Next time I will add some raisins along with the walnuts. I did bake it about 10 minutes more than called for. Worthy of printing for future use.