Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A modification of the standard Vegan Pumpkin Scone Recipe. I would also recommend adding 1/2 cup (or more!) chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, or walnuts! You can also replace some of the flour with rolled oats--be creative! Also, I used Organic Earth Balance instead of margarine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice). Cut in margarine, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and combine well.
- Knead the dough in the bowl until well mixed.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Flour your hands, and form the dough into small triangles, using about 1/8 cup of dough for each mini-scone.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. If the edges are turning brown, it's time to take them out!
- Powder the brown sugar in a blender or food processor until it resembles confectioners sugar.
- Melt the margarine in a small pot. Remove from heat before the margarine burns, and add the powdered brown sugar, soy milk, and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Drizzle the glaze over the scones and allow to cool before serving (if you can wait that long!).
We found the flavor to be absolutely wonderful, but had some trouble with the recipe. At the suggested scone size, this made a LOT more than 36 scones... it made at least double that amount. (A math check against the recipe will show this as well). Also, we prefer a more "scone-y" (traditional English, dry/mealy) texture and we found these to be a bit more like American muffins. We couldn't get the glaze to work. Again, though, the flavor was just delightful.
Hot dang these were good. Thanks ahaus for a yummy breakfast treat recipe.