Recipe by the80srule
To give credit where it is due, I based this off another post, Penne With Pumpkin Sauce because it looked delicious but I decided to change some ingredients to make it vegetarian suitable (primarily vegan) and healthier. I would garnish this with real parmesan as shown in the original post, but vegans and the lactose intolerant may like to use My Vegan Parmesan. This would be great with whole wheat pasta or that Ronzoni Smart Taste stuff made from veggies.
Top Review by brokenburner
I adored this recipe! I halved it and used two ounces of whole grain penne, and decreased the olive oil to one teaspoon. For the vegetable broth, I used consomme; and I replaced the soy milk with almond milk. I didn't have any fresh parsley, so I used dried, and I sprinkled it over the final dish instead of mixing it in with the pasta and sauce. The only thing I would do differently is to slightly undercook the pasta, because I didn't eat it immediately, and it was on the stove, in the sauce, for about half an hour. I like my pasta very al dente, so this was a little too overcooked for me. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove (1/2 tsp minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over moderate heat until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, water, soymilk, nutmeg, and some salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, boil the penne in salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Dain penne well, reserving about 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the penne to the sauce and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring and thinning with reserved water if needed, for 5-20minutes or until pasta is well-coated.
- Stir parsley into pasta and serve with parmesan cheese, as desired.