Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A really moist delicious pumpkin cake recipe I found online and adapted to be vegan. I attempted to use this in order to make the 2-bundt pumpkin-shaped cake I saw on Pinterest but my pumpkin capsized on transport - could have been because I didn't wait for the cake to totally cool first or because this cake is so dense and heavy. Either way, it tasted amazing! (Made vegan and with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter & flour bundt pan (dip the corner of a paper towel in softened butter - rub all over inner surface of bundt and check to make sure it's shiny - turn on side, add 1/2 cup flour, roll around to coat, and shake out excess). Prepare buttermilk mixture by placing 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup, adding enough soymilk (~3/4 cup) in order to make a total of 3/4 cup, stir, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients from flour through salt in a bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together pumpkin, buttermilk mixture, and vanilla.
- Beat softened butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the egg replacer, along with 1/2 cup water, and beat one minute. Reduce speed to low and add flour and pumpkin mixtures a little at a time, alternating each time, beginning AND ending with the flour mixture, until all mixtures are combined and the resulting batter is just smooth.
- Spoon the batter into bundt pan and shake to remove any bumps. Bake until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, around 45-50 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting over a cookie rack to cool further.