Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious quick bread and you don't have to be a vegan to enjoy it! Very nutritious ingredients, easy to make! Turbinado sugar is a cystal like brown sugar that is readily available in grocery stores. This recipe is from an Internet website: http://www.noneatathahlete.com/vegan-pumpkin-bread/
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flaxseed and water until thickened.
- Combine flax mixture in a large bowl with sugar, applesauce, oil, and pumpkin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, spices, baking soda, bvaking powder, and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in the walnuts. Lightly grease lof pans. Divide tinto two regular 8 inch loaf pans or four mini loaf pans. If you'd like, sprinkle on some oats or turbinado to garnish. Bake the large loaves for about 55 minutes and the smaller loaves for about 40 minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes before removing from the pans.
We found this recipe to be perfect. As opposed to another review, we did not find it "healthy" tasting.. though we did add 1/2 c mini chocolate chips. The only thing I changed was to use extra pumpkin in place of the apple sauce, and to use brown sugar as opposed to turbino. To be honest, I didn't eat any (gluten free)... but my husband and 5 year old can't get enough. There is about 1/4 of the last loaf left.. and I've already had requests to make another batch. We have been making pumpkin bread forever in our family... and my husband says this is the best he's had. Thank you so much for an awesome recipe!
I just made this bread tonight. I ran out of oil so I used vegan margarine instead. Overall good results but it definitely tasted "healthy"! Next time I may use 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white flour. Quick and easy pumpkin bread!