Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A slightly different take on a simple vegan upside down cake. I usually use some chia seeds as a binder for my vegan baking adventures, or flax seeds if you can't find chia. Sometimes I add a few drops of warm water to the chia to let them hydrate, they're an amazing egg substitute! The coconut oil and extra citrus give this cake a great tropical taste..yum! Sprinkle some turbinado sugar on the fruit if it's not ripe enough. Please make sure to mix up the spices or leave some out to your preference. I hope you Enjoy this yummy cake!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon homemade pumpkin pie spice, blend (equal parts -- cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and mace)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1⁄4 cup fruit puree
- 1⁄4 cup organic virgin coconut oil (preferred) or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- Clean and core a medium sized pineapple, chop it up.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients, including chia seeds and spices, in mixing bowl.
- Combine juices and coconut oil (slightly warmed so the oil is liquid) in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet into the dry and fold together.
- Pile pineapple chunks into a 10" x 4" glass baking pan, make sure to line the sides with some pieces of fruit to get extra caramelization goodness!
- Bake in the center of the oven for at least an hour, give it an extra 20-25 minutes if you want more crunchiness and pineapple oozey yumminess.
- Once the cake is golden all around, take out of the oven and let cool for an hour.
- Run a knife along the sides of the pan. Flip the cake upside down and cross your fingers! You now have a delicious animal-product-free baked deliciousness to enjoy!
- Serve with a topping of vegan coconut vanilla ice cream!