- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 applesauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, unpacked
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour juice off can of pineapple into 1 cup measuring cup--it should be about 3/4 cup juice. Add water to make 1 cup.
- In a separate bowl, combine apple sauce, lemon juice and juice water.
- Dump pineapple chunks into the bottom of a 12 inch spring form pan (you could use an 8x8 or other sized spring form, just adjust cooking time).
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Quickly mix wet ingredients into dry, stirring quickly to combine ingredients well and get out the big lumps.
- Pour into pan on top of the pineapple/brown sugar mix.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and loosen sides of cake from pan. Place serving plate on top of cake.
- Flip cake over onto serving plate and remove pan bottom.