Recipe by the80srule
From my nutritional yeast cookbook, this is a healthy vegan adaptation of a classic breakfast treat. I think normal orange juice could be used in place of OJ concentrate, or reserving some juice from the can of pineapple.
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu (about half a package of regular water-packed tofu)
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened crushed canned pineapple
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly dry out and mash the tofu. Drain the pineapple, reserve some juice if you don't have orange juice around.
- Place the tahini in a mixing bowl. Gradually stir in the juice and maple syrup, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a smooth creamy emulsion.
- Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt to the tahini mixture, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the bread crumbs, and mash them in until they are thoroughly incorporated.
- Grease an 8x8 pan with cooking spray or a little oil.
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan. Scatter the pineapple bits over the tofu mixture.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, and let them cool for at least 10-15 minutes prior ot serving. Can be eaten warm or cold.