Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can put this on almost anything! I've tried every vegan pesto recipe that I've seen and this is by far my favorite. It's taken, with a slight variation, from http://vegetarian.about.com/od/morerecipes/r/Veganpestorec.htm
- 1 cup pine nuts (you can use walnuts too)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (For a lower fat version replace half the oil with soy milk)
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -5 garlic cloves
- Combine all the ingredients except the cloves of garlic into a food processor until everything is ground. I personally like it smoother than normal so I let the food processor run for a bit longer.
- Combine in the cloves of garlic one at a time and keep doing taste tests until you feel there is enough (be careful not to chop your finger off with the food processor -- it really kills the pesto).
- Add more salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Not a good recipe. The paste was way to thick to even remotely resemble pesto, 3 garlic cloves are too much and this does not yield 4-6 servings! all in all I got a litte more than a cup out of it... hardly feeds 6 people.
Soo amazing thank you! Don't miss the parm at all.
I loved this! I drizzled the oil in at the end so I got the consistency I wanted and it turned out that I only used about half the oil. I used sea salt and should not have because the crystals were too big. But I think they'll disolve. Overall a wonderfully good and easy pesto!