So the only way my husband agreed to go vegan was if I found a replacement pepperoni. The store bought ones are way too expensive so here is the winner!! This recipe is adapted from the Vegan Dad. This is spicy but if you like pepperoni then it shouldn't be too bad. You can freeze this as well. Put these on pizza, sandwiches, salads, in tofu scrambles, and on veggie burgers. **We have made our second batch and my husband thought we could go even spicer so we put in 8-10 dashes of Tabasco sauce...just like the store bought tabasco flavored ones (DH's favorite)!!** **Change: we have made these again using tahinin instead of olive oil & find it works out better.** **Also if you do not have a steamer or colander & pot you can bake for 1hour 15 minutes at 325deg.**
- 1⁄2 cup white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons HP steak sauce or 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon whole anise seed
- 1 teaspoon red peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄4 cups vital wheat gluten
- Start the water in the steamer so it will be boiling when your ready. Finely mash the beans with a fork. Add the rest of the flavor ingredients and mix well.
- Roughly grind anise seed, peppercorns, and red pepper flakes with a mortar and pestle. Add into mixture. You can taste the flavor now and ensure it is how you like it - it is fairly concentrated at this stage so don't be alarmed. Add more spice if you prefer it spicer or more liquid smoke if need be.
- Add in wheat gluten and mix well with a fork. Divide dough into three equal portions. Shape each into a tube and wrap like a tootsie roll in heavy duty aluminum foil. Make sure to wrap it tightly by twisting the ends. Heavy duty foil is best to keep the pepperoni from bursting out of the wrapping when cooking (or just wrap a couple times with regular foil).
- Steam for 45 minutes Cool and slice. You can use as is or also fry them up a bit on each side to make a crispier pepperoni.