Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found the original recipe here http://onestopcook.wordpress.com/2008/08/19/awesome-pepper-steak-sandwich/. I adapted it for my vegan family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs vegetarian beef strips (I like the ones from Trader Joe's, but use whatever brand you like)
- 6 French rolls
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thin sliced
- 1 shallot, thin sliced
- 1 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese, to taste (Daiya brand is best)
- steak seasoning, to taste
- In a large, non-stick skillet, saute the fake beef strips in 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with steak seasoning, and cook until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onion and pepper slices, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp tender. Add garlic and shallots and cook another 3 to 5 minutes, or to desired tenderness. Sprinkle with steak seasoning to taste. Return the veggie steak to the skillet and heat through. Turn off the heat.
- At this point you're going to want to preheat your oven. I have a gas oven, so I heat mine to 350. What we're going to do is melt the cheese, so if you have an electric oven, you'll want to set it on broil.
- Take the rolls and slice them in half. Place them open face on a baking sheet. Sprinkle both sides of each roll with cheese, and place in the oven under the heat until the cheese melts. Take out of the oven. Scoop out some of the pepper-steak mixture onto each bun, replace the tops, and serve.