This is a fantstic dish and one of my personal favorites. It's even better when you let the flavors soak overnight and reheat it the next day.
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 20 asparagus spears, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Heat oil in a large, deep pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until they begin to soften and become fragrant.
- Add the rest of the chopped vegetables, toss and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the liquids have cooked down.
- While it's simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the penne until al dente.
- Drain and toss with some olive oil.
- When the sauce is done, pour it into the pot with the penne and toss.
- Spoon onto large plates and top with a few capers.