1/1 Photo of Vegan Penne Alla Vodka
1 hr 5 mins
This is an altered recipe I got from Williams Sonoma. It's become a favorite among my family and friends and it's one of those pastas that tastes best when you let it soak for a while before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To peel the tomatoes, you'll want to cut out the stem and cut a small X on the bottom of each tomato. Get a pot of water boiling and set a bowl of ice water nearby. Drop the tomatoes in the boiling water one at a time for about 30-60 seconds, remove and plunge into the ice water until cool. The skin should easily peel off.
- 2Keep the water boiling while you seed and dice the tomatoes. Put the chopped tomatoes into a strainer to get rid of the excess moisture.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, deep pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat, add the vodka, and return to heat. Stir the vodka and oil until the alcohol is cooked out. If you still smell the alcohol fumes, it's not ready yet.
- 4Once the alcohol cooks out, add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. At this point, start cooking the pasta.
- 5Simmer the tomatoes over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, until they are all softened. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- 6When the pasta is done, drain it and add it back to the pot. Toss with a small amount of oil and add the tomatoes when they are done. Toss well to combine and either serve immediately or cover and let it sit for 30 minutes so the pasta can absorb the flavors.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Penne Alla Vodka
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.7
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 10.6 g