Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Obviously these won't be quite the same as the originals. I find them very sugary, but then I don't have much of a sweet-tooth. They have a good consistency though and a great peanut butter taste. For those with dietary restrictions they are a great treat.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white syrup or 1 cup golden syrup
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Grease a tray about 9x13 inches. Also grease the spoon you'll use for mixing and something like a cake slice.
- Pour sugar and syrup into a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add crunchy peanut butter mixing well.
- Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal, mixing till coated.
- Using the spoon pour out the mix into the greased tray. With the cake slice press the mixture down.
- Allow to stand till squares firm up then cut into even squares. I usually use a large pizza cutter but any good knife should do.
- They should last about 2 weeks.
These are terrific! Easy to make and yummy yum yummy. I've made them about 6 or 8 times already. I've used regular and chocolate rice crispies, we're still deciding which is best. I use a 9" x 15" glass pan to pack them into to set. It turns out that 6 cups is exactly (close enough) one 284 gram box. AND if I slit the bag from inside the box, it's just the right size to line the pan - no wasted wax paper. Also using a rolling pizza cutter is great for chopping them up. Also a good excuse to "tidy up" the edges (cook's treat). Thanks! I really didn't want to use marshmellows or butter.
Oy! The sugar in the recipe! I can just see my dentist rubbing his hands together in anticipation of my paying for his next vacation! And yet, I still had to make this recipe. Israeli marshmallows don't even deserve to be called marshmallows, so I never get to make this. I was so please to see an alternative method to making these babies. The combination of sugar and syrup doesn't make the squares as firm as I would like them to be, but there were yummy all the same. My youngest Dornette went off to a week of camp this morning and I packed these in her knapsack. She had a taste last night and will be pleasantly surprised later today. Thanks for the recipe!