This is my healthified version of Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. Of course its still a cookie and contains chocolate (if you so choose to use the chocolate chips), but you can eat a few more of these without feeling guilty. I hope youll enjoy them, too. :)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use whole spelt flour)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour (I use spelt flour)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2 cups oats (I used a mix of barley, rye, spelt, buckwheat flakes and oats)
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanuts or 1⁄2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup vegan pb chips
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (no sugar added, all natural)
- 1⁄2 cup creamy natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄8 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄8 cup dark brown sugar (or 1 tbs splenda brown sugar blend)
- 1⁄3 cup non-dairy milk (e.g. vanilla soy milk)
- 4 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a big bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and oats. Add in peanuts or chocolate chips and pb chips and stir to combine.
- In a second bowl beat together applesauce, peanut butter, sugars, ground flax seeds and vanilla.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. If your dough seems too wet to handle, add in more flour, if its too dry, add a tad more milk.
- Drop generous tbs full of dough per cookie onto a paper-lined or greased baking sheet leaving some space between the cookies (these wont spread much). Flatten cookies slightly using moistened fingers or a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/175°C for about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. These cookies are more cake-like, so they wont crisp up.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Enjoy! :).
Yum!! Just had to try these and they had so many of my favorite ingredients and while they do not turn out quite like the cookies I am used to they are very yummy and extremely stratifying. I made these as written using the chocolate chip option, chunky all natural peanut butter and rolled oats, am very much looking forward to trying again using the barley or buckwheat option as think both would bring a wonderful dimension to these semi guilt free cookies. I quite often crave peanut butter and chocolate and this recipe satisfied both those cravings so will be keeping this recipe hand and for future cravings. Thanks for the post.