1/1 Photo of Vegan Peach Slump
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I bought some peaches and they were a bit discolored inside, so I decided to make something with them. I came up with this idea as I like fresh fruit in cakes, but not with a lot of batter. This recipe is not overly sweet so a dollop of your favorite non-dairy whipped topping would compliment this perfectly..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups peaches (approx. 4 peaches peeled and sliced, either fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon strawberry extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flour (spelt or unbleached)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (non-aluminum)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine (cold and vegan)
- 1/4 cup soymilk
- 1/8 cup soy yogurt (or other non-dairy)
- 1 egg substitute
- 2If you use frozen peaches thaw them until they are still slightly frozen. Its better not to over thaw to conserve the juice.
- 3Preheat oven to 400'F.
- 4Using a light spray oil or margarine, coat the inside of a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- 5Put the peaches in a separate bowl and toss with the brown sugar, extract(s) and cinnamon.
- 6Put the peach mixture in the casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- 7In the bowl of your food processor add the flour, baking powder, salt and raw sugar. Turn on the machine and process to combine and fluff up the mixture.
- 8Take the 1/4 cup of margarine and drop it through the feeding tube of the food processor and pulse until you have a course meal consistency.
- 9In a large measuring cup combine the soy milk, yogurt and egg substitute. (Remember the dry egg substitute has to be mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water to give it the consistency of egg.) Mix this together and add it to the flour mixture in the food processor.
- 10Pulse a few times to incorporate.
- 11This isn't dough, its batter, so spoon it our of the food processor bowl on top of the peaches.
- 12Spread it evenly over the peaches. If a few spots don't get covered that's ok.
- 13Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown and the peach juice is bubbling around the sides of the dish.
- 14Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- 15At this point you can either leave the Peach Slump in the casserole and store in the fridge or run a knife around the batter crust and invert it onto a plate.
- 16Top with your favorite non-dairy topping.
- 17Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Peach Slump
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 246.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: