Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use as a filling for pies, tarts, pastries, or phyllo dough, or as a topping for desserts.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups soymilk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, place the flour and whisk in 1/2 cups soy milk, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, place the remaining soy milk, sugar, and salt, and whisk to combine Add the flour mixture to the liquid ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, while whisking constantly, for 5-6 minutes or until thickened Add the remaining ingredients, whisk well to combine, and cook the mixture an additional 1 minute Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a glass bowl.
- Place a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap directly on top of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming on the top Place the pastry cream in the refrigerator for several hours to cool completely.
Followed instructions exactly and it came out lovely. Very thick and smooth. I was leery when I realised how lemony this was, making it to go with Vegan Pumpkin Tart With Pecan Crust. But it was an awesome match! This would be great with just about anything (my mom's dreaming of blueberry muffins already). Thanks, Seebee and Chef Bennet!
Very good, very tasty, very easy to make, i bake my pastry cream on the microwave, like i do for regular french pastry cream. We tasted it tonight, for desert, with some cookies, and it was very good. Thank you and Beverly lynn Bennett ! I used almond milk.
Seebee, if you're going to post someone else's recipe, please give them credit and tell where it comes from. This vegan pastry cream recipe belongs to The Vegan Chef, Beverly Lynn Bennett. Thanks.