The sauce is slightly creamy and rich, yet light. If you don't tell, no one will guess it's vegan. It's good even a couple days later. VARIATION: Instead of vegan no-chicken broth and coconut milk, you can use 3-1/2 cups plain soy milk. Modified from The Compassionate Cook cookbook.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 73.94 ml flour
- 473.18 ml coconut milk (14 oz can)
- 354.88 ml no-chicken broth
- 59.14 ml nutritional yeast
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 226.79 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 236.59 ml frozen peas
- 7.39 ml sea salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 453.59 g angel hair pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic, and basil until the onion becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir-in the flour to coat everything.
- Slowly add the coconut milk and vegan no-chicken broth stirring constantly.
- Stir-in the nutritional yeast, then cook over low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Steam together the broccoli and carrot until slightly crunchy. Drain and add to the sauce along with the mushrooms and peas.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then cook until heated through.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, then serve sauce over pasta.