Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a vegan version of a classic Italian dish traditionally made with guanciale or pancetta. It's really, really tasty, and you can make the sauce or just buy some and add to it. The sauce should be very spicy. Enjoy this one with a nice red wine.
- 2 cups tomato sauce (Prego basil and garlic is good)
- 6 leaves basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 3 slices vegetarian bacon (I like smart bacon or tempeh strips)
- 4 ounces pasta shells (or any other pasta you prefer)
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add the tomato sauce, basil, garlic, crushed red peppers, and black pepper.
- Let simmer 10-15 minute.
- Fry the soy bacon for a few minutes in a small skillet.
- Chop it into small pieces.
- Add to sauce.
- Leaving the sauce on low to get nice and thick, cook the pasta according to directions.
- Drain the pasta.
- Taste-test the sauce and add salt or pepper to taste.
- Toss pasta and sauce.
Loved this! I used my homemade pasta sauce and tempeh bacon strips. YUM!
This was absolutely delicious! I chopped up an onion (it needed to be used up...), and satueed it on medium heat for about 10 minutes until it was sweet. I then proceeded with the recipe. Wonderful! I loved the spice and might make it a bit spicier next time. Of course, I will absolutely make it again :)
This recipe was quite easy, which was wonderful. I didn't taste it because it was WAYYY too spicy for me, but my boyfriend loved it. He's crazy about spicy foods, and he had finally met his match. I think next time I will add less bacon and less red pepper so I can enjoy it as well. =]