1/1 Photo of Vegan Pasta Alla Norma Vegan Eggplant Pasta
fast and easy to do when you get home from work we love eggplant
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large firm eggplants
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried chili
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stems finely chopped, leaves reserved
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of good-quality chopped tomatoes or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- 1Cut the eggplant into 4 quarters lengthwise. If they've got seedy, fluffy centers, remove them and chuck them away. Then cut the eggplants across the length, into finger-sized pieces or chunks.
- 2Get a large pan nice and hot and add a little oil. Fry the eggplants in two batches, adding a little extra oil if you need to.
- 3Give the eggplants a toss so the oil coats every single piece of the eggplant.
- 4Using a pair of tongs, turn the pieces of eggplant until golden on all sides. Remove to a plate and do the same with the next batch.
- 5When the eggplants are all cooked, add the first batch back to the pan add the dried red chili.
- 6Turn the heat down to medium and add a little oil, the garlic, and the basil stems. Stir so everything gets evenly cooked, then add a swig of white wine vinegar and the cans or fresh tomatoes.
- 7Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, then taste and correct the seasoning.
- 8Tear up half the basil leaves, add to the sauce, and toss around.
- 9Put the spaghetti into a pan of salted boiling water and cook according to the package instructions. When it's done, drain, reserving a little of the water, and put it back into the pan.
- 10Add the sauce and a little of the reserved cooking water and toss together then back on the heat.
- 11Taste, and adjusting the seasoning and divide between your plates by twirling the pasta into a ladle for each portion. Any sauce left in the pan can be spooned over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining basil.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Pasta Alla Norma Vegan Eggplant Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (591 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.7
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar