Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
These are absolutely delicious!!
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- vanilla extract (optional)
- Mix together the mashed banana and water.
- Add dry ingredients an mix, leaving lumps in the batter.
- Waffles: Cook on a waffle iron, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Pancakes: Pour 1/2 Cup of batter into a hot, lightly oiled frying pan.
- When bubbles rise through the middle of the pancake and break on the top, flip the pancake and cook until browned underneath.
I really liked that these used oatmeal and soy milk wasn't needed. I did the prep a little different though. I put the oatmeal in the blender and processed that a bit then added the wet ingredients followed by the dry in batches. My husband doesn't really like oatmeal so if he saw them in the waffles he might not of liked them much. I did the first batch as written but made a couple changes on the next go round. I added some raw sugar as our bananas weren't the sweetest. I also added some salt to bring out the flavors. These crisped up quickly but need longer for the insides to cook up. The only issue we really had was that they got a little soggy when butter was spread on top. The waffles had a lovely color to them and turned out well. Thanks so much!!
Didn't care for this much. Maybe because I just became a vegan about a month ago. I'm having to get used to the new texture of things, and I didn't like the gooey texture of the pancakes. Sorry.