Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Pronounced (pahn bahn-YAHT) it's a traditional sandwich from Nice, France. Basically a salad on a bun, except here the bun is replaced with a pita pocket(although you are free to use a bun if you like). It works nicely, holding in all the ingredients and lovely juices. What seems like a simple sandwich is actually full of flavor. This is gluten free if eaten witha gluten free pita pocket or just as a salad.
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, Lightly Mashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halves
- 1⁄2 medium red onion
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 basil leaves, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 pita pockets
- Place prepared beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pimentos, garlic, basil and capers into mixing bowl.
- Wisk together vinegar, oil and sugar. Pour over vegetables and toss.
- To serve stuff each pita pocket with 3/4 cup of mixture.