Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This tastes like the thick, crumbly, bacony cornbread my great-grandma used to make. It does not taste like that yellow-cake cornbread that's so popular now. It's a good match for a robust vegan chili.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄3 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Make a well in dry ingredients, and stir together all wet ingredients.
- Mix all wet and dry ingredients just until blended.
- Pour and spread mixture in a lightly oiled 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until edges are just turning golden brown.