Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes wonderful, very healthy banana muffins or mini loaves, although they're more dense than yoru typical banana bread if baked into mini loaves.They're especially tasty with walnuts and chocolate chips. Another recipe from my crazy experiments in the kitchen!
- 295.73 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml quick oats
- 118.29 ml sugar or 118.29 ml halved with brown sugar
- 44.37 ml ground flax seeds
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml mashed very ripe banana
- 78.07 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 44.37 ml mini chocolate chips
- In one bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.The walnuts and chocolate chips are optional but recommended.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Pour batter into 3 well-greased mini loaves or a muffin pan, and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Let sit for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
These muffins turned out so wonderful: they were moist and cakey with chunks of nuts throughout. The taste is reminiscent of brownies, very chocolatey and yummy! Mmmm!
I made half the recipe which gave me 5 nicely sized muffins that were gone very quickly. ;)
I used less baking soda and salt and also left out the sugar, because the banana was plenty sweet (I microwaved it for 30 seconds to bring out the flavour more), but other than that stuck to your recipe and it was perfect.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, Ravenhood.
Made and reviewed for one of my babies during PAC Spring 2012.
These are wonderful. I'm so glad I found this recipe our whole family loves them. Thank you so much!
Love these! I tweaked the recipe. can't help it. 2t baking powder-1/2t baking soda-6T Cocoa powder-1/2C milk-1 1/2C flour(omitted oat). Turned out wonderful. Thank you. I was looking for a high fiber chocolate muffin that didn't taist like dirt. Really hard to find with real ingredients.