This recipe makes wonderful, very healthy banana muffins or mini loaves, although they're more dense than yoru typical banana bread if baked into mini loaves.They're especially tasty with walnuts and chocolate chips. Another recipe from my crazy experiments in the kitchen!
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup halved with brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- In one bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.The walnuts and chocolate chips are optional but recommended.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Pour batter into 3 well-greased mini loaves or a muffin pan, and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Let sit for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.