Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (tightly packed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ripe mashed banana (if the banana peel isn't spotted black, cover the mashed banana with the juice of half a lemon for a)
- 3 -5 teaspoons vanilla (be generous)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (quick oats work well)
- 2 1⁄2 cups semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Cream the margarine and both sugars together. Add the well-mashed banana, mix well, then add the vanilla and the water. The water will try to separate; keep mixing with a figure-eight motion and add the dry ingredients, in the order above, by 1/2-cup increments.
- The final batter should be almost too dry to hold the chocolate chips. If it isn’t, the amount of flour or oats is incorrect so you should add more or less, according to the problem. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet. Leave them on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving them to a plate or a wire rack to cool.