Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Call me crazy, but I somehow felt the need to veganize these wretched things!! And ya know, they turned out quite amazing, if I do say so myself... For those of you who have not had the pleasure, "Hot Wieners" are a Rhode Island classic. Anyone who's ANYONE in little RI has gorged themselves late-night on these dogs, which consist of a hot dog served on a STEAMED bun, then topped with quite a "distinct" flavor of meat sauce, mustard, raw minced onions and celery salt. My inspiration for the "meat" sauce was from Guy Fieri's recipe for: Hot Weiners Rhode Island Style! I lowered his amount of cinnamon, AND his amounts for chili powder and paprika because they seemed a bit much for vegetarian crumbles. DO NOT omit the raw onions, yellow mustard OR the celery salt. This is what makes these dogs a classic Rhode Island treat, whether it's vegan or not!!
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 ounces soy crumbles (I used Boca brand)
- 1⁄2 cup water, more if needed
- 20 tofu hot dogs (I like Smart Dogs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 hot dog buns
- minced yellow onion, for topping
- celery salt
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat add, margarine and 1 minced onion.
- Saute till translucent, but do not brown.
- Next add chili powder, paprika, allspice, curry, dry mustard and cinnamon. Then add veggie crumbles, stir thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes, add water and simmer over medium to low heat for 30 minutes, adding more water if pan gets dry.
- Bring water in sauce pot to a boil, add slat, remove from heat and throw in the veggie dogs for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve dogs in steamed buns, topped with "meat" sauce, mustard, minced onion and a shake or two of celery salt.