Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is another biscotti recipe that was birthed from experimenting with a basic biscotti recipe from Vegan Planet. My version is a bit healthier and a little less sweet.
- 1⁄3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1⁄2 cup organic sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 egg substitute (Ener-G egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I like vanilla paste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted cashews, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Blend in the "eggs" and extracts. Mix in the flour and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Divide the chilled dough in half and shape into a 1 inch-thick rectangular slabs on an lined, oiled baking sheet. Flatten the slabs slightly by evenly patting them down. Bake until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
- Let slabs cool for 10 minutes, then cut each slab into 1/2 inch-wide slices. Place sliced biscottis on their sides on an ungreased baking sheet (just simply remove the lining from the one you just used) and bake for another 8-10 minutes until they are crisp and dry. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container, where they will keep for a few days. Freezing makes them even tastier!
I made these and your other biscotti recipe for my husband, and he preferred the other one-something about the chocolate, though that is probably personal preference! Both are good and I am new to vegan food, so I was pleasantly surprised.