Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was one of the Thanksgiving recipes featured in our October/November 2007 newsletter. It was adapted from a recipe from PeTA and was found at http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/thanksgiving.html.
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups raw cashews
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread
- 1 cup stock or 1 cup water
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups bread cubes, toasted
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted (but not hot)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- For the roast: Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until tender and remove from heat.
- Chop the cashews and cut up the bread.
- Add cashews and bread to the onion, then add remaining ingredients.
- Add half of mixture to a small loaf pan (add parchment paper if not non-stick).
- For the stuffing: Mix all ingredients.
- Add the stuffing to the loaf pan.
- Top with remaining roast.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until the top has browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then turn out.
- The roast refrigerates well and can be frozen for a few months and microwaved.