Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From my nutritional yeast cookbook, this is a thick, luscious vegan faux cheese sauce meant to be more of a cheddar substitute for mac and cheese, baked potatoes, nachos, cheese fries, and casseroles. It yields about 1 1/2 cups, six 1/4-cup servings. I like this recipe as it doesn't require agar, pimentoes, or beans of any kind like I've seen in other vegan cheese recipes. I'm also including the variations the author added!
- Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Cook it, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until the sauce is thick and smooth. Best served hot.
- To color the cheese orange, add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- For a "smoked cheddar" flavor, reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon and blend in 1 tablespoon light miso and 1/4 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke.
- For "pepperjack", stir in a small can of diced green chilis, drained. It says 1/4 cup but I think one of those little 4-oz cans after draining would be 1/4 cup or a little more.
- For curried cheese, blend in 1/2 teaspoon curry powder.