Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Niter Kebbeh is essential to Ethiopian cooking, and is great for experimental fusion cooking. You may want to make a berbere spice paste as well.
- 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 1⁄2 lb olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- Chop onions.
- In a soup pot gradually the heat the oil and margarine to bubbling.
- When the top is covered with foam add the other ingredients and reduce to simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, and pour through a cheesecloth into a heat-resistant container. Discard the spices and solids.
- Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.