Recipe by amberleemay
Our family favorite! This soup is so wonderful and tasty. It is a Vegan soup, but it tastes like there is ham in it!!! My in-laws are spanish and they said it tastes like a soup they make that has a ton of meat in it (ham, sausage, chorizo, etc)! *NOTE: The nutritional yeast and Vegenaise are from the Health Food Store. I use "Red Star Nutritional Yeast" and "Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise." *NOTE: To get the proper consistency, do not add the Navy Beans or Vegenaise until the end.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes (leave skins on)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 cups canned navy beans, drained (2-15 oz. cans)
- 1⁄3 cup vegan mayonnaise (to give creamy effect)
Directions See How It's Made
- In pot, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil (until lightly caramelized). Add water, cubed red potatoes, chopped kale, salt, cumin, and nutritional yeast. Stir. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until potatoes are done (about 20 minutes).
- Add Navy Beans and Vegenaise. If available, use a whisk to stir in the Vegenaise. This helps to blend the Vegenaise thoroughly into the soup. Cook for several more minutes and serve.