Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a decadent lasagna for special occasions. After trying to make it low fat, I finally figured out I needed a rich bechamel sauce I love in order to make a lasagna I love. I began by adapting Ina Garten's buttery bechamel sauce to a vegan one, and then tinkered with the rest until I had a creamy lasagna with lots of fresh mushroom flavor. Hope you like it.
- 250 g lasagna noodles (enough for 4 layers in a 9 x13 pan)
For the Bechamel
- 10 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour, and
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart unsweetened soymilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 small shallots, finely sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1⁄3 cup leek, finely sliced
- 10 large portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegan sherry wine
For the vegan parmesan
- 1⁄2 cup raw unsalted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat over to 220 C / 425°F.
- For the Noodles: Boil lasagna noodles to al dente according to package directions and set aside on baking paper.
- For the Bechamel: In heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the margarine over medium high heat. Slowly add the 1/2 cup + 2 tbs flour and stir to combine. Cook for two minutes stirring constantly. Slowly incorporate soy milk with a whisk. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Add nutmeg.
- For the onions, etc: Saute the onion, shallot, fennel and leek in 2 tsp of the olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pan until the onions are soft and translucent. Set aside.
- For the Mushrooms: Still using the non-stick pan, saute the portabellas in 2 tsp of the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to release their juices. Add the splash of sherry. Set aside. Saute the oyster mushrooms in the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil for about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix with the portabellas.
- For the Vegan Parmesan: In a food processor, mix the nuts, the 1/4 cup flour, the nutritional yeast and about 2 tsp of garlic powder (more or less as you prefer) and a 1/2 tsp of the salt. Test, and add the other 1/2 tsp of salt if needed.
- Layer the Lasagna: Spoon a thin layer of bechamel onto the bottom of the pan and spread evenly. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spoon 1/3 of remaining bechamel on the noodles and top with a good sprinkle of 'parmesan'. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread all of the onion mixture, top with 'parmesan' and ladle a little bechamel. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread all of the mushroom mix, top with 'parmesan' and ladle a little bechamel. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spoon all remaining bechamel on top and top with remaining 'parmesan'.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes or until top begins to brown slightly.