Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This delicious recipe was acquired from My Veggie Kitchen (http://myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Eggplant) Their source: the Uncheese Cookbook
- 2 -3 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced (1/2-inch slices)
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced
- feta, recipe (see below)
- 1 small onion, white
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (I used Red)
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 14 ounces lentils, drained
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup miso, light
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- 2. Slice your eggplant, potatoes, squash and zucchini*.
- 3. Sprinkle your eggplant with salt and layer and let drain in a colander for twenty-five minutes.
- 4. Spray cooking spray or use oil or Earth Balance on the cooking sheets before spreading eggplant, potatoes, zucchini and squash.
- 5. Bake for about 30 minutes; turn once.
- *don't bake the zucchini if you don't enjoy it super soft.
- 6. Chop onions; saute & add garlic when onions are just about done.
- 7. Add vinegar; reduce.
- 8. Add tomatoes w juice.
- 9. Add 1/2 can of lentils with about 1/2 the juice (or drain and use 1/2 can of water to reduce the sodium content).
- 10. Add Oregano, parsley and cinnamon; simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Bechamel: (this takes practice -- ).
- 11. Melt Earth Balance; stir in flour on medium heat.
- 12. Keep stirring and add milk slowly; stir out the lumps.
- 13. Set aside, and put on a lid (you don't want the sauce to thicken to much).
- 14. Stir in ground flaxseed (Optional).
- "Betta Feta Tofu".
- * (instead of making this, I just crumble tofu in a bowl; add the vinegar, and miso, and stir).
- 15. Cut tofu into 1" cubes.
- 16. Simmer in boiling water for about 5 minutes; drain.
- 17. Whisk water, miso, vinegar and salt; combine with tofu in a container; stir and refrigerate.
- (Crumble tofu cubes and use in place of feta -- use within 2 weeks).
- Assembly time!
- 14. Layer the potatoes in a casserole dish (suggested size: 9x13).
- 15. Followed by eggplant, squash and zucchini.
- 16. Add other vegetables if you used them.
- 17. Pour most or all of the tomato/onion sauce over top with crumbled feta.
- 18. Repeat the layers and sauce if there is any left.
- 19. Pour the bechamel (may need to be reheated); sprinkle with vegan cheese if you so desire; (looks very nice with the minced red pepper & tofu crumble).
- 20. Cover* & bake at 350° for an hour (remove cover for the last 15 minutes).
- * I am always too impatient to let the eggplants drain for 30 minutes beforehand, so I don't use a cover.
- Serve & Enjoy:).
- 421 cal (15g fat, 55g carbs, 20g protein).