Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of my absolute favorite restaurants, Kate's Joint, serves these really awesome poppers called "Mock Popcorn Shrimp". I've been trying to make something similar for years! These aren't quite like them, but so far the best attempt I've had at a copycat. I use La Flor seafood seasoning, feel free to use a homemade mix or something like Old Bay. Prep time doesn't include your method for drying out the tofu as some take the lazy shortcut like I do, others do the press method that takes a few hours-- but unlike grilling the tofu where you only need it to be moderately dry, you need it to be REALLY dry for this!
- Dry out the tofu however you have to-- whether it's the stove top, microwave, or plate-press method. But it has to be really, REALLY dry in order for this work. I drain the package very well then blot with a dish towel once the block is on a plate, then nuke it in 2-minute intervals, blotting off water every time, until little to no water comes out then I let it cool off so I can handle it.
- Cut the tofu into little cubes.
- Mix the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the olive oil in a long rectangular dish/container.
- In a tossing bowl, toss the dry tofu cubes with the olive oil to fully coat them.
- Dredge the cubes with the flour mixture.
- Lightly fry in canola oil then blot on paper towels.