Recipe by KosherFrugalMama
I love the combination of cabbage and black beans. My toddler will eat any kind of bean, so this is a great way to sneak in protein and colorful veggies! Feel free to vary the vegetable combination based on what you like, or have on hand. This is a great soup for meatless Mondays. Serve topped with shredded cheddar, and warmed corn tortillas.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin half moons
- 3 stalks celery, chopped small
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 large red pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped small
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained or 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 5 -6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, carrot, celery and potatoes and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 10 minutes, till they begin to soften. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook 3 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cabbage, black beans and spices. Add water to cover, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Serve hot, topped with shredded cheddar cheese.