Recipe by annh53182
Although this seems very "brown-shapeless-tasteless-vegan-food", it's really not. Otherwise known as Nut-Loaf, Mushroom Loaf, Vegetable Loaf or many other titles, it's a great basic to throw together on those "meat-and-potato" nights. From Vegan Food; More Than Tofu and Sprouts!
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional to oil pan
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cracker crumbs (whiz in food processor) or 2 1⁄2 cups corn flakes
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional, but good!)
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1 cup carrot, grated (optional, but good!)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (freshly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sage, dried (or more fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary (crushed, more if fresh)
- 2 cups mushrooms, whizzed until chunky in food processor (2 cups after processing)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 cup soymilk
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 cup tofu, any variety
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all ingredients except soymilk, flax and tofu. Put milk, flax and tofu in food processor and blend well. Pour over other ingredients and mix thoroughly. It should be moist and mooshy but not "soupy". Too dry, add more soymilk, if it's too wet, add more breadcrumbs.
- Spread into oiled 8 X 11 pan and bake at 350 about 1 hours 15 min - until browned on top, and fairly firm. (Sometimes it sets up more than others, depending on the moisture in the mushrooms, onions, etc -- ).
- This is better the next day, but who can wait? Serve with gravy, BBQ sauce or ketchup. Leftovers (sorta) slice for GREAT sandwiches.