Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a vegan meatloaf generator found here. http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html All you do is check the boxes of what ingredients you would like and it makes a recipe for you! This is my first attempt and it was outstanding! It didn't hold together as well as I had hoped, but the flavor was unbelievable. I added a couple little extras of things I had in my kitchen, so here is the recipe with my extras.
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 2 small carrots, peeled and grated (or 1 large)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, plus more
- ketchup, to top
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Pulse the pine nuts in a food processor until it resembles a coarse meal. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté the vegetables (minus the beans) with the oil over medium heat until everything is softened. Take off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8 baking dish with oil or spray. Add the beans, rice, vegetables, seasonings, soy sauce, ketchup and flour to the mixing bowl and mash/mix everything together. If the "batter" seems to dry, add some vegetable broth to moisten. If it seems to wet, add some more flour.
- Scoop the mix into the baking dish and level out the top. Place in the oven to bake for 1 hour. After about 40 minutes, take out the loaf and spread some ketchup over the top (optional) and place back in the oven to continue baking.
- Let the loaf cool for 10-15 minutes and either turn out onto a platter, or just serve out of the dish. I served mine with a baked potato and steamed veggies.
Very good! I really liked the seasonings in this. The recipe description says it didn't hold together well. So I added 1 cup of oatmeal cooked in 1/2 cup water. The oatmeal provided the binder, in the absence of eggs, to hold the loaf together. Nice meatless-loaf; thanks for posting it. I will be making this again. I would have given this 5-stars, but I had to keep going over the ingredients to be sure I didn't leave out anything; the ingredients are out-of-order with the directions. Made for My3C.
Just made this last night. The sauteed veggies smelled awesome (we use coconut oil instead) but the whole mashing everything together didn't work out too well. Remember to rinse black beans if they come in a can or yours will have an off taste. Ours didn't stick together too well either. Next times I am going to add more veggies, possibly some sprouts for consistency and only one cup of black beans. It also needs way more spice than listed or else the beans and rice just soak it right up. Best of luck!
This was great. We first made it at Thanksgiving for my daughter's vegan boyfriend and it got rave reviews. Then we made it for Christmas as well. My oldest son (not vegan) liked it so much my daughter is making it for him as a birthday present because both times we've served it he said he didn't get as much as he'd have liked.