Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Most marshmallows are neither vegan or vegetarian, but here is a recipe that is.
Make and share this Vegan Marshmallows recipe from Food.com.
- Soak agar-agar in ½ cup cold water until water is absorbed and powder is completely wet, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ½ cup cold water, 1¾ cup granulated sugar and ¾ cup corn syrup in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly over medium heat and taking care to prevent boiling over.
- Reduce heat slightly and continue cooking and stirring until sugar mixture thickens and forms a strand or ball in cold water. Immediately remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat agar-agar over medium heat and stir until agar-agar softens and dissolves.
- Spoon into mixer bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and, with beaters on high seed, slowly pour hot sugar mixture onto agar-agar.
- Continue beating on high speed for about 10 minutes, or until mixture turns white and resembles well-beaten egg whites.
- Combine cornstarch and confectioner's sugar in bowl.
- Generously sprinkle an 8 inch round baking pan with half of cornstarch mixture.
- Pour agar-agar mixture into pan.
- Sprinkle top with more cornstarch and sugar to coat well.
- After "marshmallows" firm up, slice into pieces, wrap in plastic and store in an airtight container in refrigerator, or serve.