Recipe by tendollarwine
I've been experimenting with wraps lately and this idea seemed really good. And it was! A tip for the mayo: make it the day before and don't add any extra chiles or adobo sauce until the next day after you've tasted it. It gets MUCH hotter after it sits for a day or two.
Top Review by EmilyStrikesAgain
I've made this twice now, both times halving the mayo recipe and finding it was more than enough for us. The first time the tofu was outta this world! Second time I didn't marinate it enough and it was just kind of blah (my error, not the recipe's). It was great to make ahead on a Sunday night and have lunches for the next few days.
For the Chipotle Mayo
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Tofu
- 1 lb firm tofu, sliced into 6 long slabs and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (smoked Spanish)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
For the Wraps
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, small, sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup red onion ring
- 2 cups alfalfa sprouts, packed
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- For the mayo, chop the chilis and put in an airtight container. Add the mayo, sour cream and oregano, mix well, cover and chill overnight or for at least an hour.
- For the tofu, mix the marinade and pour it into a baking dish. Place the tofu in the marinade, cover, and let it set for at least an hour, turning halfway through. For best results, marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly coat a baking sheet with oil and lay the tofu slices on the sheet. Sprinkle additional seasonings on if desired.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes, or until the tofu starts to brown, then flip over and cook until that side is brown as well. Depending on how moist the tofu is, this could be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.
- When the tofu is done, remove from the oven to cool and assemble wraps with a lettuce leaf, 2 slices of tomatoes, 6 slices of cucumbers, grated carrots, onions, sprouts, and then top with the tofu and chipotle mayo. Fold up and enjoy!