Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I made this up cause it sounded good, and it was! Leftover marinade can be used as a salad dressing.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (1 lb) packages firm tofu
- Stand the tofu up on end and cut down the middle, making two 1.5" slabs. Do this with both bricks of tofu and drain for at least 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. The longer you press the moisture out, the better the tofu will absorb the marinade.
- When the tofu has most of the water drained out, lay down in a 8x13 baking dish.
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a 2 cup (or more) measuring cup. Stir together well and pour over the tofu. Cover and set in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but for best results, marinade overnight, flipping at least once.
- Remove the tofu and press out the marinade with your hands as best you can.
- Here is where you can choose what to do with the tofu. It can be eaten cold, as is, on a sandwich. Baked on a greased cooking sheet at 400F until browned, then eaten as a "cutlet", chopped and tossed into a salad, or eaten as a hot sandwich. Same with frying it in a pan. Frying can give you a nice crust without drying out or firming up as much as when you bake it. Play with the options, food should be fun.