Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is our family's answer to macaroni and cheese with food allergy restrictions. This recipe is loved by both my food-allergic husband (who never experienced this comfort food until adulthood) and our son (a toddler who loves cheese!). The recipe makes a creamy dish that you can supplement with vegetables or extra spices.
- 4 cups small shell pasta, dry
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine (soy free version)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup rice milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded (Daiya brand is soy free)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to its instructions. Turn off heat and drain.
- Add margarine, yeast, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and rice milk to pasta. Stir well.
- Add shredded cheese substitute and water. Stir well. Return pot to low heat, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes until cheese is melted and well mixed.