Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken directly from Compassion Before Cruelty. Great vegan alternative to the comfort food, mac and cheese.
- 1 lb pasta
- 2 cups vanilla-flavored soymilk or 2 cups rice milk
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise or Nayonaise) (optional)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook pasta and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta and all other ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and enjoy.
- For variety, mix in one cup of steamed vegetables, such as broccoli or peas.
- Vegan Mayo is optional, but recommended for creamier meal.
Flavorless and watery!
Using unsweetened almond milk in place of vanilla, this cheese sauce is delicious. I heat up the sauce by itself - not including the mayo. That gets stirred in along with the pasta. I think this method helps to store the leftover dressing better, if I'm only preparing one serving at a time.
Followed ingredients nearly exactly, chose unflavored almond milk though as I can't have soy. Only thing I did additionally was to bake it for a bit. I've been looking for a mac'n'nooch recipe that doesn't require tofu or nuts and this was perfect!