Isa Chandra Mosckowitz and Terry Hope Romero are the queens of keen vegan cooking. Their mac & cheese recipe is a kid pleaser and a big dose of down home comfort for all ages. If you don't own Veganomicon, find a copy and you'll see why you should.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Cheezy Sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, Minced
- 2 pinches dried thyme (crumbled in your fingers)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. When the pasta is ready, drain and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare the Cheezy Sauce.
- 4Whisk the broth and flour in a measuring cup with a fork until dissolved.
- 5Saute the oil and garlic in a saucepan over medium-low heat about 2 minutes, stirring often and being careful not to burn the garlic.
- 6Add the thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 15 seconds. Add the broth, turmeric, and nutritional yeast, raising the heat to medium. Use a whisk and stir constantly. The mixture will start bubbling and thickening in about 3 minutes; if it doesn’t, turn the heat on a bit higher.
- 7Once the mixture starts bubbling and thickening, stir and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- 8Add the lemon juice and mustard and stir well. The mixture should resemble a thick, melty cheese.
- 9Taste for salt (you may need more), turn off the heat, and cover the pan to keep it warm.
- 10Now that the sauce is ready, begin assembling:.
- 11Crumble the tofu into an 11x13 inch baking dish. Mash the tofu with your hands until it resembles ricotta cheese. Mix in the salt, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- 12Add 1/2 cup Cheezy Sauce to the tofu and stir.
- 13Add the pasta to the tofu, along with 3 more cups of sauce, and stir well.
- 14Smooth the top of the pasta mixture and press it down with a spatula to level it.
- 15Pour the remaining sauce over the pasta and smooth again.
- 16Bake for 30 minutes; the top of the macaroni should be slightly browned.
- 17Let sit for 20 minutes to cool and firm up.
- 19For even more comfort food deliciousness, top it with toasted breadcrumbs before going into the oven.
- 20Make it even more nutritious with the addition of 4 cups of your favorite greens, chopped small - Spinach is divine.
- 21I try to use less fat when I cook. Reducing the oil with the tofu mixture to just a scant teaspoon was still perfectly delicious.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Mac Daddy (Veganomicon)
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.6
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 452.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: