Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
What is the holy grail of vegan food? Macaroni and cheese of course! I think you will like this recipe if you're looking for a close substitute for traditional mac and cheese. This comes from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.
- 1 lb pasta (i use macaroni most of the time because I want the authentic effect!)
- 1 cup light soymilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder (more if you want it to really be that "mac and cheese" color)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Boil pasta until its cooked the way you like it. Drain and return to saucepan, reserving about a cup of the pasta water.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a blender.
- Pour over noodles and stir until sauce is incorporated and sauce it heated. Add pasta water as needed to adjust consistancy.
Great recipe! Perfect blend of flavors, will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing! Made for Healthy Choices ABC February 2010.
I was pretty excited to try this recipe but I found it really wasn't that good. It tasted like...well, turmeric and mustard, not much else. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten but I probably wouldn't make it again. Sorry!